At the risk of having to wear a disguise for the rest of my life due to the plethora of men who will come knocking on my door*, I feel the need to get this out of my head.
If you know me, you know that I’m pretty headstrong and I know what I want. I have a list, albeit in my head, of what the “perfect guy for me” looks like. Don’t act shocked…it’s what women do. My list has changed over the years and even included things like “wants to grow old in Oklahoma,” which was before I moved out of the state. I now know I will probably never live in Oklahoma again. I ❤ it, but I’ve seen better things.
I think my list is pretty standard and I’ve even been willing to give up a thing here and there in exchange for something not already on the list. For me, the top quality I look for is humor/wit. The perfect guy for me HAS to be able to keep up with me. I’m pretty quick on the wit and it kills my mood when people I’m with don’t get it. Also, I need someone who can make me laugh, especially at myself. He must also be OK with getting a little goofy sometimes.
Other qualities include:
- Passionate, not only about me 😉 but also about something they are doing (work or otherwise). Life is too short to not be passionate about life and other things. And your passions don’t have to be my passions, though I definitely want to learn more, no matter what it is. If it’s important to you, I want to know about it.
- Intelligent–I’m not always the smartest cookie, so having someone to explain why the sky is blue is A + in my book. I love to learn and if you can teach me a thing or two, that’s hot. </mindingutter>
- Athletic/in to sports–If you join me in my love of college football (yes, I can watch College Football all day on Saturdays as long as it’s not the Longhorns), then I’ll do the same for a sport of your choice. Just no golf or race cars. I have to draw the line somewhere. And all’s fair in love and war when it comes to March Madness. I also like to shoot hoops, play tennis, and 4 or 6-man volleyball. Watching or playing…both rock!
- Must. Have. Rhythm. I ❤ music way too much to be with someone who can’t keep the beat. Please don’t stop the music. And if he can keep up with me on the dance floor…even better!
- Can let me have my space. Do I like getting text messages, emails, flowers, chocolates, and other tokens of affection all day, everyday? Not really. I need ‘me’ time. As an only child, I was often alone and need that to recharge. At the same time, I need ‘him’ to be ok with me not calling him all the time. Doesn’t mean I’m not thinking about him…just means I’ve got stuff to do.
- Is creative. I love, love, LOVE doing fun things for my man. Sending little notes, surprising him by cooking a fabulous meal, getting him tickets to his favorite band’s upcoming concert…you get the idea. However, he has to do the same every now and then. I still remember that guy I dated way back when who borrowed my car while I was at work and when I left for the evening, was greeted by a newly washed car. This is the same guy who would leave notes on my windshield at work. *sigh*
- Gives me tough love…sometimes. I don’t want to be with someone who will tell me I’m right or always agree with me. I need someone who will challenge me on the way I’m thinking or help me see the other side. He also has to be ready to take what he gives as I’ll do the same. I’m always understanding, but your way is NOT always the right way.
- Looks good. I’m a girl…I like shoes and dressing up and I need a guy who can match, or even challenge, my fashion sense. Guys, it’s not that hard…really. I get soooo tired of the t-shirt, jeans, and blazer combo and need a little more. Ties are sexy, dress shirts are hot, nice shoes…that’s the icing on the cake. There are basics that you can mix and match. This doesn’t mean you have to dress up ALL the time. Heck, I’m wearing a hoodie, sweat shorts, and flip flops right now…in public, even. BTW–dimples are sexy:
- Confidence is the killer quality in any man. Be confident, but not cocky…there is a difference.
I’ll be completely honest and say that there has been a level of interest with some of you reading, even though I don’t know all that read my blog. However, I would bet that if you have 2 or more of the above qualities, I’ve looked at you and wondered, “what would he be like to date?” I’ve made advances with some of you, even if you didn’t know it, and yet…nothing has clicked. <sadface>
Does this mean I’m on the prowl? Not at all. As Alicia Silverstone put it so well in Clueless, “You’ve seen how picky I am about my shoes…and they only go on my feet.” Do I want someone who I can share my victories and defeats with? Absolutely. But I can’t do that with just anyone.
Maybe the man on my list is impossible to find. Maybe I haven’t found him yet. Maybe there’s something better.
Maybe someone can make an app to help me find him…
*Sometimes I live in a fantasy world where things like this happen.