I love making lists. I love crossing things off of my lists.
But this is one list I hope I’ll never be finished with:
- Take better care of myself…physically, emotionally, mentally.
- Physically–I’ll definitely need some good stress relief with the new job. I live in an area where I can walk the Embarcadero every day, have a workout room in my apartment building, and love taking classes like hula hooping, hip hop, and ballet. Now, if I could just get my butt TO the classes…
- Emotionally–I have a tendency to ignore my feelings and push them aside when something is bothering me. Not only do I want to pay more attention to things that upset me, but I also want to pay attention to the things that bring me joy.
- Mentally–Sometimes I feel like my brain is mush. Did you know that I’m a member of Mensa? No really…I am and I feel like I need to exercise that big beautiful brain muscle more often.
- Make (and take) time to show others I care.
- I really do care about the people in my life. I think about my friends often throughout the day, and not just the ones in San Francisco. I think about my friends from all over the world. Yet, don’t take time to make sure they know this. With the social media in my life, this shouldn’t be put off any longer.
- Send more hand written notes.
- I love stationary and have oodles and oodles of it. And I don’t know about you, but I love getting REAL snail mail. Makes up for all the bills I get.
- Travel more…for pleasure.
- Thanks to a job earlier this year, I made it out of the country for the first time…ever. Yes, I have a solid 3 decades under my belt and no, I don’t have a good reason why I haven’t traveled more.
- Challenge my mind/learn something new.
- So often I feel like I’ve stopped learning since I’ve been out of school for so many years. I’ve talked about learning French or Italian. I should just do it. Anyone in for learning with me?
- Be honest.
- Not only with others, but first…with myself about things. (See EMOTIONALLY above.)
- Stop using the phrase “I don’t care.”
- I really wish we could erase this entire phrase from the English language. It’s a freaking cop out and I’m not going to use it anymore. Very rarely do I NOT have an opinion on something…even if it’s something simple.
- Find 3 things I love about each day–that are different than the day before.
- Taking time to appreciate my life and the blessings I have needs to be a priority. I’m realizing that I have a fabulous life.
- Get. off. the. computer. 😉
- Holy crap–I waste SOOOO much time online. There is so much happening in life that I’m missing. I have an entire list of Meetups that I want to do. Not to mention, this is a great way to meet new people OUTSIDE of the interwebz.
- Blog more.
- I have multiple drafts started, yet don’t take the time to finish them and complete my thoughts. Then…I avoid blogging entirely because I feel like I need to complete those thoughts before moving on to anything else. What a catch 22. *Sigh* I really do love getting my thoughts out and having conversations with my readers.
- Read more.
- Books and blogs (which may contradict GET OFF THE COMPUTER above.) I have an entire stack of books I want to read. Oh, and let me add that I shall finish one book before starting another. I’m really bad about starting and not finishing…when reading, that is. 😉
- Engage more.
- So often, I feel like I’m passing by so many people doing so many cool things. I’m so ‘busy’ that I don’t take time to engage in conversations and with the amazing things people are doing.
- Take more photos.
- I’ve recently found that I love doing photo walks. It’s a great way to see the city and take some time to enjoy my life. I should be doing this EVERY DAY in some way. My camera may very well become just as important as my Blackberry when I leave the house. And yes, I know I can take photos with my Blackberry, but it’s just not the same.
- Laugh more.
- There is something so amazing about a great belly laugh. It’s those moments that you remember for many, many years.
- Love more.
- I’ve prevented myself from loving others for years. Deep reasons for why this is. However, I’m realizing that it’s not fair to myself to not love others. I know that loving others will also mean being hurt by others at times, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.
So there it is…my To Do list.
What do you have on your To Do list that you’ll never finish?
4 thoughts on “The To Do List I’ll Never Finish”
Karen – I smiled when I read this because I made a list that wasn’t so much different than this just the other day 🙂
> one thing on my list – be kinder to myself…I tend to be very hard on myself and need to remember to treat myself with as much compassion as I do others.
Karen–Good to know I’m not the only one with a list like this. Makes me feel better that I’m not alone when it comes to becoming a better Karen. 😉
I definitely need to add “Be kinder to myself” as well. It’s always easy for me to love others, but loving myself…whoa, that’s a whole other issue. I’m a perfectionist, though I’ve learned to let go of a lot of things, and a workaholic, which I’ve been better about since being a consultant. Now that I’m back in the full-time work force, I’m trying to keep this to a minimum.
Thanks for your comment. Would love to compare lists at CFC.
So many things on your list are the same ones that I keep dealing with, as well. Plus, I have two blogs with many unfinished posts!
There is never enough time to accomplish them all, so take comfort in choosing the best ones to accomplish each day.
I’m with you on just about every item on your list. I am so totally into the photowalk idea. I am new here, so that’s a great way to get to know the city, and I have this new DSLR, which I never use! Let’s do that for real! And oh my, do I need to meet people outside of the interwebz! 🙂 Tell me what the cool meetups are here in SF!