Skip to content

My new gig? Rocking Social Media Events & Sponsorships with Porter Novelli

September 16, 2009

Porter NovelliI’ve recently been thinking about what I enjoy and what my dream job would look like. If you know me, you know that I only want to do things I am passionate about. I love producing events and thinking of ways to add “special sauce” so they stand out from others. I’ve also learned from my work with Mashable and Whuffaoke that I enjoy creating sponsorships that offer something more for the sponsor. All of these passions are about to go into overdrive. I’m excited to announce that I am joining the Porter Novelli team as Manager , Social Media Events & Sponsorships.

As I look back on my life since being introduced to the social media community a year and a half ago, I am truly amazed at the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve had. I produced the Community Next conference in L.A. that has been said to have introduced many of the L.A. tech community friendships that are so strong today; I’ve done not only one, but TWO, cross-country tours (The Mashable SummerMash tour & Whuffaoke); I finally got my passport and made my way to London while working with Blurb; I’ve worked with the brilliant Brian Solis; and have rocked the world with Midomi.

This position will allow me to continue working with major Social Media events, including BlogWorld, LeWeb, Web2.0 Expo, SXSW, Internet Week & BlogHer, just to name a few. I’ll also work with the Porter Novelli office in San Francisco (which will be my home base) to offer some exciting community events and Influencer Series, which will benefit all. I think what excites me most about this position is working directly with Stephanie AgrestaΒ (@stephagresta)Β who has been a mentor and someone who I greatly respect and admire. I am looking forward to learning, and working, with the best.

I have to offer huge thanks to Pete Cashmore (@mashable) and Adam Hirsch (@adamhirsch) for reaching out to me to join the Mashable team over a year ago. These men are wise beyond their years and are great friends. Excited to see where Mashable will go next! Many kudos to Brian Solis (@briansolis), who is truly passionate about changing the PR world. On a personal level, much love to Tara Hunt (@missrogue), my BFF Tiffany, and Grant, who have been on this ride with me for a long time, tell it to me straight, and cheer me on when I need it. To my parents (all 4 of them), thank you for believing in me and supporting all of my crazy ventures, including moving to California.

And of course, thanks to all of you for your support. I can’t tell you how much your encouragement and conversations have meant to me. Thank you!

Now, time to get to work…

69 Comments leave one →
  1. Denise permalink
    September 16, 2009 10:26 am

Congrats Karen! I’m sure you’ll totally rock it at PN.

• September 16, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks lady. Do I still have an invite to Friday 415? πŸ˜‰

2. September 16, 2009 10:26 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Now go rock the world with plenty of awesomeness!

3. September 16, 2009 10:29 am

I am so excited for you- they are incredibly lucky to have you, I know you will rock it. Selfishly, I have to admit, I am also very glad you are staying in SF, I was afraid you might be making a move. Congratulations Karen!! Wishing you huge success!

• September 16, 2009 10:32 am

I couldn’t bear to leave SF. I mean, I JUST moved here! Girls night next week?

4. September 16, 2009 10:29 am

Congratulations, Karen!

5. September 16, 2009 10:33 am

Congrats Karen! So excited for you!

• September 16, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks lady. This means the next time I’m in NY (which may be soon), we’ll have to celebrate and catch up. Miss you!

6. September 16, 2009 10:34 am

Congrats Karen! I’m so excited for you, Porter Novelli is so damn lucky to have you on board!

• September 16, 2009 10:36 am

I think I’m just as lucky to have PN. πŸ˜‰ Welcome back to the states. If you’re in SF, let’s get together!!

7. September 16, 2009 10:34 am

Congrats Karen. From the moment I met you at BlogWorld last year, I knew there was something special about you. You are just an awesome coordinator, networker and go-getter. I hope Porter Novelli knows how lucky they are to land someone as talented and connected as Karen Hartline. I wish you nothing but success and hope you keep kicking ass and singing karaoke!

D

• September 16, 2009 10:40 am

Funny, I thought the same about you. πŸ™‚ And of course…Karaoke and kicking ass will never stop!

8. September 16, 2009 10:37 am

Holy crap. SOOO awesome. I am so proud of you.

Good job dear! Ping me with EVERY event.

• September 16, 2009 10:40 am

You’re at the top of my pinging list. πŸ˜‰ We need to celebrate our new jobs together sometime!!

9. September 16, 2009 10:41 am

Congrats! Sooooo that’s who you couldn’t tell me about the other day. You picked a great company and team. Very heartfelt post as well. I am glad you aren’t leaving us and moving to NYC too. See you soon.

• September 16, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks Joey! I had to keep it a secret until it was a done deal. πŸ˜‰ And as for moving…I think I’m in love with San Francisco and the people here. I’ll let NYC have me on loan for a few days at a time.

10. September 16, 2009 10:46 am

Wow! That does sound like an incredible opportunity! Dream job, indeed. Look forward to seeing what you do in the position. Congratulations Karen!

• September 16, 2009 10:49 am

Jessica–definitely a dream job. πŸ™‚ I’m also looking forward to seeing what I do. I’m ready to rock! Thanks for the congrats.

11. September 16, 2009 10:58 am

CONGRATULATIONS! XOXOXOXOX

12. September 16, 2009 11:02 am

So happy for you. That is definitely cause for celebration – wine? πŸ˜€

CHEERS!

13. September 16, 2009 11:07 am

Congrats! You are going to be great!

• September 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks Miss Sarah! How are things going with your new job?? πŸ™‚

14. Archana Ramachandarn permalink
    September 16, 2009 11:07 am

Congrats Karen! So proud of you : )

• September 16, 2009 2:01 pm

And I’m so proud of you…moving to the big city of Chicago! How are things going?

15. Frederick Townes permalink
    September 16, 2009 11:08 am

Congrats Karen, I’ve always been impressed with your work! Cheers

• September 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks Frederick! I’m sure we’ll cross paths sometime soon…we always seen to do so. πŸ™‚

16. September 16, 2009 11:24 am

Congrats Karen, best wishes, I know you’ll rock! Woot!

• September 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Rockin’ is what I do…especially when I have the mic in my hand. *Cheers!

17. Alex tep permalink
    September 16, 2009 11:29 am

Congratulations Karen, you deserve it!

Your old roomie.

• September 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks Alex. Crazy to think back to when we were roommates. Seems like forever ago!

18. September 16, 2009 11:50 am

Karen – You are going to bring tremendous vision and a fantastic can-do attitude to your new gig. Congratulations!

and….. Keep on Singing! you will most definitely rock Porter Novelli!!

• September 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Hoping my officemates are OK with me belting out a song every now and then…during work hours, of course! Thanks for the congrats.

19. Carol Carrubba permalink
    September 16, 2009 12:24 pm

HOORAY! Welcome to PN. I am very excited to work with you πŸ™‚

• September 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks Carol! I can’t wait to get started in the office next week. I already have a phone call with Steph at 7am PDT tomorrow. πŸ˜‰ Looking forward to working with you. πŸ˜€

20. September 16, 2009 12:25 pm

And what an announcement this is – I can only imagine that keeping it under wraps will end up being the hardest part of the job.

Congratulations Karen on landing dream job no one deserves this amazing opportunity more than you!

I am sure you are gonna continue to rock the world at Porter Novelli and on the Karoake stage for years to come!

Big Hugs!

• September 16, 2009 6:35 pm

If you only knew how hard it’s been to keep this as a secret. It’s definitely a dream job and I can’t wait to start. πŸ™‚
      I wonder if it’s too late to ask them to add the word ‘rocking’ into the job description. πŸ˜‰

21. September 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Congrats Karen! This is just awesome, well deserved I know you will rock this out like you do karaoke and then some!

• September 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Tia Marie–you’re lookin’ a little green in your avatar. #JustSayin πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the congrats!!

22. September 16, 2009 2:14 pm

You started only a year and half ago? When we are at Mashable I thought you were the seasoned PRO! Man, you must have SUPER Skills now! Porter Novelli is very lucky to have you. Best of luck!

Christopher

• September 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Well, I’ve been in event management for almost 10 years, but in social media for almost 2 years and in CA just over a year. And what a year that’s been. We’ll have to celebrate soon.

23. September 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Congratulations Karen!

So glad you were able to land that dream job, this looks perfect. I enjoyed working with you briefly, and look forward to seeing you at plenty more events!

• September 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Don’t worry…I won’t disappear just yet. πŸ˜‰ Great working with you as well. Keep rockin with the FutureWorks team!

24. September 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Congratulations Karen!

I loved the Community Next and what an awesome job you did. Watching your career path since then has been inspirational to me. I know you are going to keep rocking the events to a new level. You are just that creative and amazing.

• September 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Jodi! I never would have thought that I’d end up where I am today when I was doing Community Next. The L.A. conference was my favorite conference to produce. πŸ™‚ Thank you for all your kind words. I’m excited to see what happens next in your world as well. *Cheers!

25. September 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Congratulations! That sounds like an absolute perfect match. So excited for you!!!

26. September 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Congrats Karen! I’m so excited for you.

• September 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks Justin. My question for you is if you can hide it? πŸ˜‰

27. September 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Congrats, Karen — you’ve really landed the ideal gig for what you’re great at!

• September 16, 2009 6:45 pm

Andy–we’ve known each other since Community Next, haven’t we? That seems like so long ago! Thanks for the congrats. Here’s to what’s to come.

28. jasmine antonick permalink
    September 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Congrats Karen, so happy you could announce it to the world! I’m very, very excited for you!

• September 16, 2009 6:46 pm

And announce it I did. I think my Blackberry almost melted from all the emails, DMs, and blog posts that came in. πŸ˜‰ Drinks at Medjool–soon!!!

29. gloriakt permalink
    September 17, 2009 9:47 am

w00t finally! πŸ™‚ Congratulations again. Told you ..you’re a rockstar..

FYI..Nice redesign πŸ˜‰

• September 17, 2009 9:49 am

RE: Rockstar–Takes one to know one. πŸ˜‰
      RE: Redesign–Thanks, I know this guy…

30. September 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Congrats! What a perfect job for you (please, please involve an RV in at least half of your events :D)!

• September 17, 2009 6:05 pm

RV’s will be half of my events…the other half will include Karaoke, of course. πŸ˜‰

31. Sydney Owen permalink
    September 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Super-pumped for you. We must do dinner in Austin if I don’t see you before then. Congratulations!! Between the two of us we’ve got quite a global network now, do we not? PN is lucky to have you, I wish I knew you were on the market, I would have tried to get you to the Windy City!

• September 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks Sydney! Part of the thing I love about the position with PN is that I get to stay in San Francisco. πŸ˜‰ I just moved here…I’m not ready to leave. I’m sure I’ll see you around…definitely in Austin!

32. September 20, 2009 11:03 am

congrats! one of my good friends worked there for awhile (she still might actually) and loved it. let’s do mex sometime at south park – i just got back from peru and my gig at blurb is up – lots to catch up on!

33. September 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Yay!!! Congrats on the sweet gig! I knew you were doing it but somehow I never publicly congratulated you! (I blame being buried under boxes πŸ™‚ You more than deserve all the wonderfulness that is has started and will keep coming your way! So proud of you; this is awesome!

Can’t wait to hang in SF and celebrate after I get these boxes packed and sent on their merry way.

34. September 21, 2009 10:22 am

Congrats on your fantastic gig with some great co-workers!

Trackbacks

1. Twitter Trackbacks for My new gig? Rocking Social Media Events & Sponsorships with Porter Novelli Β« Karen Hartline [khartline.com] on Topsy.com
  2. Congrats, Karen! « #mightaswell