Skip to content

The importance of IRL and F2F

February 16, 2010

A few weeks ago it hit me…I’ve been hiding. I haven’t been out to many tech events lately, am much more comfortable at home, and am being selective in the people I’m hanging out with. This surprises me as I score extremely extraverted on Myers-Briggs (I’m an ENTP) and have been a social butterfly for many years.

But something’s changed lately…

I feel like my social media life and my real life are becoming more and more separate. Wait, that’s not true. I think I’m putting more of an importance on my real life instead of my social media life. I don’t share everything on Twitter like I used to, even though I do share completely random things. I’m getting more and more annoyed when people are tweeting/texting or whatever when we’re sitting together at a meal.

I honestly think I have a bit of an addiction to social media and what’s going on ‘out there’. Don’t judge…you know you have the same addiction to a certain degree. 67%

What’s funny is that by being addicted to ‘what’s out there’, we’re missing so much of what’s going on RIGHT HERE…in front of our faces…in the same room…with the people sitting next to us. There are things that happen and conversations you have when you’re F2F and hanging out IRL that could never be communicated in 140 characters or less.

Don’t interpret this as I hate social media, because that’s far from the truth. Social media has allowed me to meet some of the most amazing people. I’m reconnecting with friends who knew me back in Oklahoma, keeping up with those I love deeply but only see every now and then, getting news updates and even doing business via social media. It’s great.

But I’m ready to take it back to the old school a little more often. Unplugging and just having good ol’ fashioned hanging out time, just like it used to be before we all had computers and smartphones.

Who’s with me?

7 Comments leave one →
  1. February 17, 2010 8:04 pm

hey kHart, are you going to be at SXSW?

and i agree F2F is superior, but easier said than done.

2. February 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Funny. I think I’m an ENTP as well… or at least 8 years ago. See you in Austin!

3. February 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Karen, interesting post. I was amazed by the sheer number of tweets that would show up from you on my FB. I have to say – nothing beats F2F with people you care to communicate with.

I believe I have tweeted twice in my life. I was just thinking about how behind I am in this area, but it is good to hear this perspective from someone like you.

Cheers.

4. February 28, 2010 12:02 am

Right there with you sister!! Feeling the same way- not attending as many events, even having people say they “miss me” on social networks. Would love more face to face time you! Hope we can get together soon.
    -g

5. March 15, 2010 8:21 am

Amen Karen! Between 2008 and 2009 I found myself so obsessed with the goddess that is social media that I would spend hours in front of my iPhone or computer trying to keep up to date with all of my streams only to realize at the end of the day that I hadn’t taken the time to enjoy the beautiful weather we were having, cook dinner or take my tiny tot dogs for a nice walk in the neighborhood. Whatever happened to being in the now even if it’s not tweet worthy? I’ve gone between intense love and mild hatred for the goddess, but am now trying to strike a balance so that I reap the good without losing out on what is right in front of me. When you experience the agony or find yourself having a tantrum when you’re involuntarily unplugged, you know you have a problem. Even more reason to make sure that you get a little non-digital action every day and stop to smell the roses (before tweeting about it). đŸ˜‰

• June 4, 2010 6:22 am

Selena–what a great comment! Sorry for not replying earlier but wanted to take some time to thank you for this reminder. I’m off to NY for Internet Week in a few days and really needed this reminder before living and breathing the interwebz for a solid 7 days. I’ve definitely noticed a change in my habits lately and while I still have some to work on, I’m definitely enjoying life as it happens more. Thanks for reading and commenting. *Cheers-Karen