Skip to content

Been there. Done that. Doing it again.

June 4, 2010

I’m amazed at the people and opportunities that have come into my life in the short time I’ve been in the Bay area. I’ve worked with some of the most amazing people in the industry and have learned numerous things from them. Pete CashmoreAdam Hirsch and an all-star team have built Mashable from a ‘blog’ to a news source, recognized around the world. Brian Solis is a total powerhouse in branding and thought leadership. He is one smart dude. And Stephanie Agresta has not only been a friend and mentor, but gave me a great opportunity to work with Porter Novelli, one of the best PR agencies in the world, teaching me how digital and social media can be a strategic force for every brand.

While my time at Porter Novelli has been a great learning experience, I realized that it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do. As I thought more and more about this, my passion for creating and producing events and conferences became crystyl clear. I mean, that’s how I got my start in this wonderful world of the interwebz through my work with Community Next and it only made sense that I try to get back to a place where that passion could soar.

I’m very excited to share the news that I am officially back with Mashable as Events Director.

@khartline @jolieodell @mashable @benparr

Excited to join the fine looking team of Jolie O'Dell, Pete Cashmore and Ben Parr. Photo credit: Lisa Bettany http://mostlylisa.com

Two years ago when I worked for Mashable, I was impressed with what was in store for Mashable. Those plans have become reality. While I can’t tell you much about the recent discussions I’ve had with Pete, Adam, Brett Petersel (my brother from another mother), Ben Parr & Jolie O’Dell (the fabulous SF team) and the rest of Team Mashable, I CAN tell you that we’re all in store for some amazing things.

Hold on to your hats…because I’m ready to rock!

28 Comments leave one →
  1. June 4, 2010 8:27 am

Congratulations! That’s great news – who wouldn’t want to be with that all star team?! Glad to see you back and hope to see you soon. Any chance you’ll be in NYC for Internet Week?

Christine

• June 4, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks Christine! I leave Sunday for NY for Internet Week and will be around all week. Looking forward to meeting all of Team Mashable NY and seeing old friends. I’m sure I’ll see you around, right? 😀

2. June 4, 2010 8:28 am

ROCK!

I’m excited for you Karen! This seems to be a great fit (again) and I know you’ll rock it. 🙂

• June 4, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks Keith! We’ll have to celebrate by rockin’ on the mic soon. I’ll have my people call your people.

3. June 4, 2010 8:43 am

It seems like just yesterday I was reading the post about you going from Mashable to Porter ^_^

Well it’s hard to go wrong with either of those. Steph and the Porter team are amazing. The Mashable team is just…well… baller.

Keep doing great things where ever you are. Pumped to see what new magic comes from Mashable and their regained events director.

Best of luck.

David

• June 4, 2010 8:47 am

Not yesterday, but almost 9 months ago. Porter Novelli and Stephanie are AWESOME and they really have some great things going on. It just wasn’t the best fit for me. I learned so much while I was there and am sad to go. 😦
      Thanks for the well wishes. Lots of things in store…stay tuned!

4. June 4, 2010 8:48 am

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing you at some of those events. Hopefully Boston is on your radar.

5. June 4, 2010 8:50 am

Congrats lady! Looking forward to seeing more fabulous things.

6. Krystyl permalink
    June 4, 2010 9:03 am

Wow Karen! This freakin rocks! Im so excited to see/hear that the Mashable team has stolen you back!

You deserve this and they deserve you as part of their team.

Rockin!

-K

7. Ruth Bazinet permalink
    June 4, 2010 9:10 am

That’s really great news, Karen! I’m with Chuck- would love to see you and the team in Boston soon!

Best wishes,
    Ruth

• June 4, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Ruth–We had SOOO much fun in Boston last time and I loved the community there. Would love to get back and will keep it on my short list. 🙂

8. June 4, 2010 9:31 am

Woot! Welcome Karen!!

9. Adam Jackson permalink
    June 4, 2010 9:39 am

Just dropping by to say congrats. The mashable events you did were really awesome and I look forward to what’s next. It’s great to have you back in that seat.

10. Jenna permalink
    June 4, 2010 10:41 am

What What Karen?! I didn’t even know…this popped up in my Google Alerts! So sad to see you go, but it’s been great working with you. Lots of luck, Jenna

11. June 4, 2010 11:16 am

Congratulations Karen!

12. June 4, 2010 11:27 am

YAY! Congratulations Karen, I’m simply thrilled for you. Continue to be the mover and shaker you already are and build upon your continued success!

Wishing you the best always,
    @EdCabellon

13. June 4, 2010 11:29 am

sooo does that mean another Mashable party in Miami???

congrats 🙂

14. June 4, 2010 11:30 am

Double Woot, Karen!! It’s in your digital DNA! When you do what you love, and with people you respect, and enjoy working with, the world is your oyster on a half shell! 🙂

Best of wishes to a fellow Okie (at heart)!

Tanya

15. Amanda Coolong permalink
    June 4, 2010 11:40 am

Rock on! I know Steph will miss you, but it’s nice to see that some of us CAN ‘go home again’. 🙂 Mashable just didn’t seem right without you. So happy to see you back in the fold.

*hugs*
    @acoolong

16. June 4, 2010 12:00 pm

I love hearing about your successes. 🙂

17. June 4, 2010 12:54 pm

Ya! Come on out to Boulder!

18. Stephanie permalink
    June 4, 2010 1:40 pm

Congrats Karen! So excited to catch up and celebrate!

19. June 4, 2010 3:29 pm

Congrats darling!!!

20. Rich Reader permalink
    June 4, 2010 4:30 pm

again and so very well. kind wishes.

21. June 4, 2010 9:08 pm

I knew about this a bit ago but I’m happy you’re doing what you want to be doing with who you want. I’m still a bit saddened that you’re still in SF if only just because I want more Karen Hartline. I’m happy the dynamic duo of Khartline & Brett are back together again! I expect major Mashable events shenanigans in your future. ;D